On 8th October 1894, General Sir Frederick Marshall KCMG wrote to Mark Smallpiece, Lord of Puttenham Manor, asking if he would allow a group of Army Officers, Charterhouse School Masters and local businessmen to form a golf club on his land at Puttenham Common. The fact that General Marshall was a special favourite of Queen Victoria at the time probably helped sway his judgement and, thus, Puttenham Golf Club was born, with the General quickly established as President.
As it happens, Queen Victoria herself had already visited the site that was to become Club when she stood on Frowsbury Hill (now the 2nd Tee) on a warm summer’s day in July 1858 to take the salute of 20,000 members of the British Army during a Royal Field Day. On 8th July 2008, the Club commemorated this event in style when Queen Victoria’s great, great, great grandson, His Royal Highness Prince Edward the Earl of Wessex, attended a day of celebration and unveiled a plaque on the very spot where his ancestor had stood 150 years earlier. Puttenham Golf Club can therefore make some small claim to Royal connections.
Puttenham’s first Captain, Major Howard Fairtlough, the Club Professional Albert Howlett and the Committee were responsible for laying out the original nine holes which measured just 2,413 yards with a "bogey" of 39. In 1935, the Club was given permission to extend the course by a further nine holes and by October 1937 Puttenham Golf Club could boast 18 separate holes.
Having bought the freehold to the Club from the Smallpieces in 1981, the opportunity arose the following year to buy a further 44 acres of land adjacent to the course, known as Monk Grove Copse. Purchasing the extra land meant a potential re-design of the course, with five new holes earmarked for the copse area, and Donald Steel appointed architect. Puttenham's new course layout was officially opened in June 1990 with a yardage of 6,070 from the White Tees and 5,556 yards from the Yellow Tees.
The "new" oak tree on the fairway at the 1st hole, which still acts as the Club's emblem, was planted in 2002 in memory of former member Keith Gordon. It was planted with forward thinking in mind as the original "Puttenham Oak", that was thought to be well over 150 years old was perceived to be on borrowed time. It managed to survive another 15 years before finally succumbing to father time in May 2017. Over the years further updates and improvements have been introduced and Puttenham’s 18-hole course now measures 6,220 yards with a par of 71 from the white tees, 5,784 yards with a par of 71 from the yellow tees and 5,400 yards with a par of 71 from the red (ladies) tees.